Updated: Jul 1, 2021
There is something so beautiful about creating a project with deep regard and passion. When we wrote our book, Fresh Air Kids Switzerland, it was a culmination of years spent on trails as a family and over the course of those years we have come to notice that our children thrive in nature. Not only does nature provide a gorgeous backdrop for our family to bond and explore, but it allows our child the opportunity to be children.
Listed below are benefits of nature:
1. Vitamin D Absorption – the body absorbs Vitamin D when sunlight penetrates the skin. Get healthy, stay healthy.
2. Physical and Mental Benefits – the opportunity to exercise in nature is abundant allowing children the chance to move their bodies freely. Kids need this and so do we!
Doctors are now prescribing nature as a way to ward off stress and anxiety in adults and children.
Nature may also help lessen ADHD/ADD symptoms in children. Hmm…too much time in the classroom, not enough time outdoors…perhaps.
3. Nature may help prevent Nature Deficit Disorder, a term coined by Richard Louv, which is define by individuals having limited exposure to the natural world. We need nature.
4. Nature provides a natural slowing down and has a calming effect on children.
5. Freedom – nature provides freedom through unorganized and unstructured play time – children have come to crave this in their highly structured, over scheduled lives.
Step out into the natural world and observe how your children see the world differently.
If you are interested in having the authors of Fresh Air Kids talk at your organization regarding, “The Education of Nature,” talks can be custom made to suit the needs of your organization or school.